Re: Apache Server Support in Fedora 27

On 19/1/18 12:37 am, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 08:34:36AM +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
After going through all these hassles I was looking in through Yumex
for something else and found an installed package called HTTPD which
it indicates is Version 2.4.29 of the Apache Server.
It's before my time, but long long ago Red Hat renamed the "apache" RPM
to httpd at the request of the Apache organization, who have long
tried to make sure people don't conflate Apache with just that piece of
software. We could probably document this better — I think it's become
one of those things that "everyone just knows".

Given the hassles I mentioned above, how were they worked around to
build the httpd binaries?
You can see the spec file — the build recipe — for Fedora's httpd
package at
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/httpd/blob/master/f/httpd.spec

Everything in Fedora is "self hosted" — there are no external build
dependencies. I'm not sure about the specifics, but either they're
available in other packages, bundled into that one, or configured or
patched out so they're not required.

Thankyou Matthew, I've looked at the spec file and Fedora's Apache build has indeed excluded distcache.

Having decided to go down the netbeans/glassfish path I have installed version 8.2 of netbeans from Oracle and have determined that their version of netbeans does not work with either Openjdk9 or Openjdk8. With Openjdk8 netbeans crashed on new project creation and with Openjdk9 netbeans hangs on new project creation with an Invalid Reflection Error, but it works fine with Oracle's JDK8 having installed that from their supplied rpm. Also with Openjdk, at least under Gnome, when I launch netbeans under my userid I get a murrine scrollbar error but if I launch netbeans under root I don't get the error and there is a significant improvement in the visual quality of the gui interface, so I'm not sure what is happening there.

regards,

Steve