Hope for lists in the age of spam [OT, was: how to change emails]

Please do not reply to this mail; join mailman3-users instead.

Tim writes:

 > It's likely due to Google's anti-spam technique falling afoul of how
 > this list forwards our messages (written addressed "from" us but coming
 > from the list server).  While detecting that kind of thing may pick up
 > spam with falsified addresses, it also erroneously picks up list
 > mail.

This is probably "DMARC From alignment" processing.  According to the
Google postmaster I know, such traffic is saved in the "spam" folder.
GMail users should check there.  Posts may also get checked for
sufficient spamminess to be discarded, but valid traffic from lists
like this one should never be discarded according to my source (as of
some months ago).

 > As to why some get junked, and others do not, I can't tell.  My
 > replies are addressed from a Yahoo address, are posted through the
 > Yahoo server, and I logon to it to send them.  That logon processes
 > authenticates my mail, and ought to be good enough for any
 > anti-spam service to accept my messages as being more likely to be
 > genuine than spam.

In fact, it is nowhere near good enough for yahoo.com, since they
leaked several hundred million address books to spammers a few years
back.  They really do need serious authentication, not just "it seems
to be via a list", which is way too easy for spammers to simulate.

Mailman (www.list.org) is working for the next Mailman 3 release (hint
to users-owner) to provide serious authentication in the form of ARC
processing in the distribution, which will help.  ARC (authenticated
received chain) allows mailing list hosts and other forwarders to sign
the mail including authentication results for DMARC, DKIM, and SPF,
and receivers (including Google at least among the big providers) who
participate in the ARC protocol then have the option to trust the
signed Authentication-Results field and the list's ARC-Seal instead of
the (usually broken by list changes to Subject and text) SPF and DKIM
results.

If users-owner and/or postmaster happens to be listening, you can get
in touch with me directly for specific information and/or help.  If
not, I'll try the standard places later.  (Jus' plain folks who are
interested should join the mailman3-users@xxxxxxxxxx list, where I'll
be happy to discuss.)

Steve

--
Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
http://turnbull/sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information