Re: Samba version woes

On 15Jan2018 22:57, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2018-01-16 at 08:17 +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
Last year we bought an HP Proliant G8. It has a cool cubic form mactor with 4
3.5" SATA drive bays. And an internal SD slot. We've got 2 8TB WD Red drives in
it in RAID1, the OS on the SD card and /home on a 250GB SSD. That leaves 2 more
drive bays for expansion/transfer/migration some time.

Nice, though probably overkill for me.

The proliant itself was pretty cheap, and we wanted the drive bays even though we're only using 2 right now. They come in a few flavours. They only have 2 DIMM slots, so if you want to upgrade the RAM (we did) you have to replace the memory it comes with. And if you upgrade the RAM, pay careful attention to buffered vs unbuffered - we screwed up, to our cost.

Regarding backup for the server, we have a pair of 2TB WD MyPassport USB 3.0
bus powered drives. One stays ion all the time, getting nightly backups. The
other lives in a drawer, and we plug it in every so often to update its backup.
That gets us nightly backup resolution plus an offline isolated backup in case
of the OS getting comprimised, which could lead to the main backup being
comprimised.

So you backup 8TB on a 2TB drive? I guess most media server files don't
really need backing up as you can always get them again. I don't back
them up myself.

I'm on the end of a wet piece of string. And our media server is not full. It will become an issue at some point, but I have a complex plan for that.

[...]
Thanks for the input. I've now got the NFS+Samba combo working, after
some head-banging until I figured out the SElinux parameters I needed
to change (could this *be* more obscure? no meaningful error messages
in the Samba log until I Googled them and a light dawned).

On of the features of SELinux is that apps don't know what's wrong. Perfectly configured permissions etc simply don't work. I can't describe how happy that makes me.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> (formerly cs@xxxxxxxxxx)