Re: DWA192 Driver 8814au Loadable Under Kernel 4.13.16-300 but not Loadable Under Kernel 4.14.7-300.

On 26/12/2017 16:50, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 12/26/17 13:03, Stephen Morris wrote:
Thanks Ed, I don't remember where I got the driver from other than I found it on
github via google for an early version of the 4.13 kernel, when the driver I was
using prior to this one that had to be modified to cater for function moves between
kernel header files with the 4.11 kernel,  failing to compile with the 4.13 kernel.
The driver I was using also came pre-configured for installation with dkms which
was an advantage.

I'll try the driver you linked and see how it goes. As a matter of interest how did
you find this link, my searches haven't provided it?

My google search was simply "8814au driver" and the link I provided was the first one.
The search I was doing was "dwa192 rtl8814au linux driver" and it didn't provide the link you got.

FWIW, the link I provided does say that it is forked from tpircher/rtl8814AU
(https://github.com/tpircher/rtl8814AU) and it has nice suggestions if you want to
use dkms to keep the driver compiled automatically after kernel updates.

I've compiled the driver without any errors or warnings and installed it and it is working fine.

The previous driver I was using came with a bash dkms install and remove script, which I've copied to the directory I unzipped your link to, and having modified it for this driver, it copies the directory to /usr/src where it needs to be, and then does a dkms add, build and install, which places the driver in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/extra as required. I did have an issue with modprobe because the previous driver somehow made its way down to the wireless directory in the module structure, so I had to manually remove it.

This driver has also rectified the wireless performance issue I had with the previous driver. The previous driver was connecting with a bitrate of 452 mb/s whereas this driver is connecting at 1.3 gb/s on the 5GHz channel as it should be, so it looks like this driver correctly supports AC whereas, looking at the supported bitrates on the 5 GHz channel, the previous driver seemed to only be supported 80211n on the 5 GHz channel.

As a result of this driver seeming to support 80211ac, the wireless signal strength seems to be stronger as well, at least compared to the previous driver.

regards,

Steve