Re: NetworkManager-wait-online is still utterly, and completely, broken

Marmorstein, Robert writes:

NetworkManager-wait-online is to make sure that remote drives mount
AFTER an IP address has been configured:

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget/

That's exactly the use case that's broken here.

By the way, my own experiments (on a lab of twenty-five FC26 workstations with dynamic IP addresses) seem to confirm that removing -s fixes the issue. Increasing the timeout from 30 to 45 was enough to keep switch NetworkManager-wait- online itself
from timing out due to switch glitchiness.

So, getting rid of -s fixes network connections that use dhcp, perhaps in combination with an increased timeout. But getting rid of -s definitely breaks static IP connections even worse than they are already broken. With the default configuration with the -s option, the IP addresses are not assigned for about 1-2 seconds until after nm-online returns, based on the data that I collected over the last week; and without the -s options nm- online returns 5-6 seconds before my script succeeds in binding the static IP address. With the -s option you have a fighting chance of booting a functional server with static IP addresses. Without the -s option you're pretty much are assured of a farked boot, with all services that bind to specific IP addresses failing to start (except for openssh whose service file has an explicit retry interval).

Just to add to this clusterfracas: systemd itself has a timeout for starting jobs. Looks like if you try to increase the timeout to more than 90 seconds, it won't work. This is buried in the man pages. systemd.service(5) documents that the default value for TimeoutStartSec comes from DefaultTimeoutStartSec "from the manager configuration file", which must mean something that's buried in /etc/NetworkManager. I don't see it set anywhere which must mean, according to systemd-system.conf(5) that it takes its hardcoded default of 90 seconds.

So, looks like we're going to have to throw both NetworkManager and systemd into a cage ring. Fight to the death. Whoever comes out, gets to set the startup timeout.