Re: Old peeve still in 27

On 12/21/2017 10:31 AM, Beartooth wrote:

> 	Is it me?? I keep three or four PCs on my desk (behind a Trendnet
> KVM switch), plus other machines elsewhere; the desk trio are all running
> F 27, Mate/Compiz. One old bad thing and a similar new one, irritating at
> best, are happening.
>
> 	The old one is that the size of my Mate Terminal, particularly
> its font, often changes when I reboot. So I have to re-edit half a dozen
> profiles before I can use them: the new size is usually either eye-
> splittingly small to read, or so big that no ordinary sentence will stay
> on a single line.
>
> 	The new and worse one is that the same thing has started
> happening to my panels. (I keep four, with lots of launchers on each.)
> Enlarging a panel makes several launchers disappear; as it is, I have to
> keep a couple smaller than I like in order to make stuff fit.
>
> 	If something in my configs is doing this, what, and how can I fix
> it? If it's Fedora, let me know what more data to supply, please!

I'd suspect the KVM is at fault here. Can you try connecting one of the
problematical machines DIRECTLY to the monitor/keyboard/mouse (not using
the KVM), then fix things and reboot several times to see if the problem
persists?

In my experience, KVMs can cause a lot of problems when systems come up
because they don't always report the EDID info of the monitor if it's
connected to one of the other systems at the time the OS or hardware
queries it. That can cause Fedora (or any other system) to either use
the wrong data or resort to default settings that may not be, uhm,
optimal.

You could use a fixed configuration for the display and not rely on the
system to autosense it. How you do that depends on if you're using Xorg
or Wayland. I'm not sure how to do it with Wayland, in the old days
you'd have an Xorg.conf file that buggered things.