Re: Questions about Webalizer

On 12/12/2017 09:09 AM, Charlie Dennett wrote:
> I have a small web server and user webalizer.  I recently converted to
> all https.  You say you "added" the ssl access log.  That makes me think
> you have two log files defined in your webalizer.conf file.  From what I
> understand, webalizer only supports one log file.  (Someone will correct
> me if I'm wrong.)  I changed my webalizer.conf file to use only the ssl
> access log and it reads that with no problem.  I don;t really care about
> the original access log.  Since I am all https now all it has are the
> initial http hits logged with status code 301 for the redirect to the
> https side.  I guess you'd somehow have to combine the two log files,
> either by changing the logging configuration to log everything to a
> single log file or by running a process that would merge the two log
> files and feed that to webalizer.
>
> http://www.dennett.org if your curious.  Not too interesting of you're
> not into genealogy.
>
> Charlie Dennett
>

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 6:25 AM, Cristian Sava <csava@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:csava@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I have some problems with Webalizer:
>     1) It can be manually started but not with cron.
>     2) I have http and https on the same server and it refuse to show
>     statistics for ssl_access_log
>      I tried to add "LogFile /var/log/httpd/ssl_access_log" to
>     /etc/webalizer.conf with no success (it seems to inspect but it does
>     not update the statistics).
>
>     I searched with Google but nothing worked for me.
>     What am I missing?
>
>     Thanks,
>     C.Sava
Webalizer can only deal with a single log file at a time. You can
pass the logfile in as the last argument on the command line when
you run it (no need to bugger the webalizer.conf file or rename the
file).

Keep in mind, however, that webalizer expects data in chronological
order and if it sees a log entry from a file that is earlier than one
it has already processed, it will ignore that log entry (usually with a
message stating the fact). Thus, if you have two logs (one from the
regular server and one from the SSL-enabled server) that cover the same
time period, webalizer will probably be ignoring all of the data from
the second log you fed it. You can bugger the history files and such
to try to get it to behave, but that's the nature of webalizer.

To get around that limitation, I wrote a program long, LONG ago that
would take logfiles from multiple servers (a load-balanced web server
cluster), interleave the entries from all of them into chronological
order and output a single file with all of the data in it. That output
file was fed to webalizer so we could analyze the cluster as though it
were a single machine. IIRC it was written in C. I can probably dig the
source code out of my archives somewhere and send it to you if you
really need it.