Re: Default video application

On 12/10/2017 12:35 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi, I have a fedora27 system and having a problem with hdhomerun and
> video dropout with vlc/videolan. I'm hoping it's a problem that can be
> solved by choosing a different video player.
>
> I've set "Videos" to the default in Settings->Details->Default
> Applications, but hdhomerun_config_gui still spawns vlc when playing
> the stream.
>
> I've also changed the file associations in the System
> Settings->Applications->File Associations to use Videos before VLC and
> it also made no difference.
>
> I've also tried from within the Videos app itself, but there doesn't
> appear to be any type of configuration options there at all.
>
> The problem I'm having with hdhomerun has existed since at least
> fedora24 on this desktop. There's dropout on many broadcast channels
> and the following is printed repeatedly on the screen:
>
> [00007fb500015330] ts demux error: libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS
> duplicate (received 0, expected 1) for PID 0
>
> I've also tried to get support through the hdhomerun people and they
> have no idea what's causing it either.
>
> Thanks for any ideas

I'm assuming this is over a wifi connection. If possible, can you
try it over a wired connection? Wifi can have issues with lots of small
files being flung around (see below).

If it's possible, see if there's a setting in hdhomerun that allows you
to put more chunks in the playlist or manifest. An HLS or HDS stream is
broken into fixed size or fixed length "chunks" (small files with the
suffix ".ts") by the streaming server (note that these are typically not
actual files on disk, but virtual files created by the streaming
server). Your player pulls down "N" chunks (as specified in the manifest
or playlist) and plays them.

Generally, when it starts playing the penultimate chunk, the player
should request a new manifest that has a new list of "N" chunks, which
it should begin downloading. It should continue playing with this new
new list of chunks. Rinse and repeat. Balancing manifest chunk counts
and TS chunk size/length is something of a black art and depends a lot
on the networks delivering the stream.

It may be that the TS chunks are being deprioritized on your LAN
(indicated by the report of duplicate chunks being received). We
deal with this often in the streaming business. Barring the ability to
change the number of chunks in the manifest, you could try to change the
priorities on your LAN.

It's not an easy thing to sort out. You should set up wireshark/tcpdump
and really analyze what's going on. Another tool you should look at is
the charles proxy (https://www.charlesproxy.com";). It's been a big help
in chasing down streaming issues for us.

Sorry I can't be of more help.