F27 - fail2ban not adding iptables chains

Hello,

I recently upgraded my PC from F26 to F27, and noticed that fail2ban was not
adding the configured chains to iptables. This worked fine at F26.

There are no error messages in the log files (dmesg, /var/log/messages,
/var/log/fail2ban.log). I have tried disabling SELinux, then restarting
fail2ban but the chains still do not appear. I do not use firewalld so removed
the fail2ban-firewalld package. I set the fail2ban log level to debug, and that
showed the relevant iptables commands that would add the chains, but otherwise
gave no indication of any error. (I used the logged iptables commands to
manually add the chains, and all the commands worked fine.)

If I log (using logger) appropriate log messages - such as an SSH failed
authentication attempt - then that particular chain does appear in iptables. If
I unban the logged IP address, then the chain remains in iptables. If I restart
fail2ban, then the chain is no longer in iptables.

I'm now a bit stumped as to what might be the problem. Anyone any ideas?

Thanks,

John.

--
John Horne | Senior Operations Analyst | Technology and Information Services
University of Plymouth | Drake Circus | Plymouth | Devon | PL4 8AA | UK