Re: Tweaking Fedora

On 11/15/2017 01:35 PM, Robert McBroom wrote:
> On 11/06/2017 03:40 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 17:02:25 +0000 (UTC), Beartooth wrote:
>>
>>>     A correspondent on another list says one used to be able to use
>>> Mondo Rescue to grab all the settings on an existing install and clone
>>> them onto a new one. That would save me vast tedium.
>>>
>>>     But the Mondo Rescue site lists only rpms for Fedora 23 and
>>> before. And either I'm garbling my correspondent's directions, or they
>>> don't work any more -- or both.
>>>      I tried a few variations on "dnf install Mondo-xyzq". I also
>>> downloaded a few .rpms from Mondo's repository and ran "rpm -ivh"
>>> against
>>> them. Both tries failed.
>>>
>>>     Is there a tutorial somewhere? Has Mondo Rescue forked into
>>> something with another name? Have the Fedora Gurux and Alpha Plus
>>> Technoids come up with a replacement while I wasn't looking??
>> The mondo suite of programs is still in the package review for over
>> 10 years, because without people interested in them, the odds that
>> someone else will do substantial reviewing *and* approve the
>> packages are low: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/187318
>
> brute force
>
> dnf --releasever=27 --setopt=deltarpm=false distro-sync --allowerasing
>
> Worked for 23 versions in various incarnations of update programs but
> past is no prologue. YMMV

I've been building Mondo Rescue from source for a while. This has been
more for my own use than any attempt to release it to my fellow
Fedorans/CentOSians/Red Hatters. As it stands, the bits I've built work
for my systems but I don't know how apropos or generic they'd be for
others to use. I can also say that the source is a bit fluid right now,
trying to alleviate some of its "pickiness" with BIOS and UEFI settings
(as any bootable system would) and disk partitioning/detection when
doing bare-metal restores.

The last builds I did were on F26 and while there are some issues with
newer system things (gcc, UEFI, syslinux and other utilities it relies
on) that need to be worked around, I've managed to solve most of those.
There's still a bit of work to do to clean it all up and put it into
some form that would make it maintainable and flexible.

Should I get all that done, I'd have to coordinate with Bruno Cornec
(the maintainer of Mondo) to see if he approves the changes. I have no
idea if he would want to become an official Fedora package maintainer as
that does take a fair amount of dedication to the task and Bruno has
other things to do (I think he works for HP--not sure). I don't have
time right now to be a package maintainer, either.

I guess if there's enough interest in it, I could see what might be
done. I don't know Bruno personally, but he seems a nice chap and might
be coerced--er--convinced to do it. :-)