Re: Understanding VPN client options

> On Thu, 2017-11-02 at 20:33 -0400, Alex wrote:
>>> There are several comparison sites you can consult, e.g.
>>> http://www.vpncomparison.org/
>>
>> Thanks. It's been hard to find a trustworthy review site.
>
> I'm not specifically recommending that site, it just popped up when I
> did a search.

>>> No idea. UI indications in the Fedora docs are written for Gnome users
>>> and I use KDE. However in my own case I just use a Shell script
>>> downloaded from my VPN provider, which hooks into OpenVPN.
>>
>> That explains it. I've implemented openvpn in a subnet-to-subnet
>> config before from the command-line. Much of this is research for my
>> father-in-law and his fedora box.

If the OP's father-in-law is simply trying to stay anonymous and hide
his IP address while he does his cyberbusiness, a VPN isn't really
necessary. What he wants is an anonymous proxy. There are lots of those
around. If he wants to encrypt the traffic between his computer and the
anonymous proxy to shield it from prying eyes, then that's where the VPN
might come in--provided the anonymous proxy supports VPN access and if
so, what kind of VPN it offers.

A VPN is just that...a virtual private network. It simply establishes an
encrypted data link between endpoints (typically while going across one
or more public internet hops) to prevent the "bad guys" from snooping
the data streams. It can be effective, depending on the encryption
algorithms used, the keys the encryption is based on, etc., etc.

>> Is the shell script publically available? I'd be very interested in
>> seeing how they're doing it.
>
> On looking again, it turns out to be a binary executable rather than a
> Shell script. Sorry for the confusion. However I'm fairly sure I did
> once manage to use openvpn with the credentials supplied by the
> provider, so it's not black magic.

There's nothing magic about OpenVPN. While we don't use it ourselves (we
use Cisco-based VPNs using ASA devices and clients such as vpnc), I know
a number of people who have deployed OpenVPN with quite reasonable
results (in fact, sometimes better results than we get with our
hardware-based VPN equipment).

Using a VPN all depends on how paranoid you are (or rather the OP's
father-in-law is). They certainly have their uses.