Re: wireless mouse dies

Allegedly, on or about 7 October 2017, George N. White III sent:
> Don't ignore battery terminals, and  don't use abrasives (which many
> erasers contain), as they will damage metal plating.  At one time,
> carbon tetrachloride was used for cleaning contacts.   These days
> there are much safer designer contact cleaners, After cleaning,
> Stabilant 22 contact enhancer has worked well for me over many years.

There's plenty of contact cleaners available from electronic stores,
mostly they're okay, but some are just rubbish, and you'd have to keep
reapplying them.  The contact cleaners and lube combinations are
generally the best, they blast off the rubbish, and leave a conductive
and protective coating.

Do NOT use things like RP7 or WD40, designed for freeing up rusted
metal and the like, they're corrosive.  You may find they fix the
initial fault, but create unresolvable ones later on.

Though, to be honest, in the past I've resolved bad contacts,
permanently, just using a toothbrush and alcohol (cleaning alcohol, not
massage or booze with other contaminating ingredients).  Though I have
heard of photographers using plain vodka to clean lenses on the cheap.

Propanol (Isopropyl alcohol, or similarly named isopropanol), the usual
cheap cleaning alcohol sold by shops, is not good.   It's bad for your
health (from the vapours alone), and often leaves the surfaces of what
you put it on in a bad state (I've seen previously highly polished
metal look like it's been scored with an abrasive).  You absolutely
have to completely wipe it off before it evaporates.  And that's
something you can't really do to the contacts inside a USB connector.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.12.14-300.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 20 16:28:07 UTC 2017 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

The weekly life-cycle of the electronics enthusiast:
Monday:  Get an idea, and draft it out.
Tuesday:  Go and buy the parts.
Wednesday:  Solder the components together.
Thursday:  Build the casing and install the electronics.
Friday:  Start getting it to work and fine tuning.
Saturday:  Neatly install the finished product and use it for an hour.
Sunday:  Watch smoke escape when you turn it on, prepare shopping list for
new parts to buy, tomorrow.