Re: chronyc keeps on running

On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 12:38:19PM -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Thanks!

While it's true that I'm running Centos-7 instead of Fedora, CentOS also
uses chrony as its default ntp client.

On my system "ps ax | grep -i chrony" turns up two processes, chronyd,
and the grep.

# ps ax | grep -i chrony
 1113 ?        S      0:02 /usr/sbin/chronyd
 6982 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto -i chrony

chronyc does not run unless someone starts it, usually from a commandline.
it is a user tool for examining/controlling chronyd status. it shouldn't
be running all the time. Do you have a startup script somewhere that is
running it for you? If so, I'd recommend not doing that.

even if I start it from a command prompt, if I don't give it any commands
to run it consumes (as faras I can tell by watching top) zero CPU
(there's bound to be some, but it's just waiting at a command prompt,
so how much could it be?)

so it sounds like something on your system is running it and feeding it
some time-consuming commands. your task is to figure out what that is and
fix it.

good luck!

Fred

> On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 13:05:27 -0400 Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Ranjan Maitra writes:
> >
> > > Over the past few weeks, my laptop has been running chronyc at full blast.
> > >
> > > $top
> > >
> > > 12657 root      20   0   20624   1308   1160 R  93.8  0.0   1739:52 chronyc
> > >
> > > I looked up chronyc and found that this controls NTP. I use NTP, but do I
> > > need to keep this around? Or is the good old ntp good enough? From what I
> > > understand, openntp would also work but that is not available on Fedora.
> > >
> > > I guess I am wondering if there is a major cost to sudo dnf erase chronyc -y.
> >
> > The major cost is that if your puter's clock is off, its internal time will
> > slowly drift apart.
>
> Will ntpd not address this issue?
>

> > How important is having the system time accurate is to you?
> >

> To the extent that I am able to fetchmail from my mail servers for which I think we need reasonably accurate system time?
>
> I do not get why chronyc should run and create such a racket at 100% CPU.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Ranjan
>

> --
> Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.

---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding