SOLVED (sort of): cannot use Pitivi because of obscure missing library/plugin

On 2017-07-21 23:50, M. Fioretti wrote:
Greetings,

I urgently need to clip and save a few scenes from some mp4 files. Nothing more.

I enabled rpmfusion and added the packages that were suggested. Pitivi continued
to complain just the same as before.

I installed kdenlive and managed to extract the few clips I really needed to deliver
by this week. The others can wait till next weekend.

Still puzzled that something so simple still is so complicated (not intuitive at all both in Pitivi and Kdenlive IMHO) but I can live with that, for now.

Thanks to all who helped, going offline for the weekend now.

Marco

Only machine I can do this right now is a fedora 25 x86_64 box.

When I launch PiTiVi from the command line, it starts, but it says:

Missing soft dependency:
- libav not found on the system
    -> additional multimedia codecs through the GStreamer Libav library

But I haven't been able to figure out WHICH package/repository is
supposed to provide that libav library. Dnf search returns so many
packages of gstreamer plugins that I fear to make things worse by
installing them at random.

If I ignore that warning and I try to import the mp4 files in PiTiVi,
it complains like this:

Problem: gst-core-error-quark
Extra information: gst-core-error-quark: Your GStreamer installation
is missing a plug-in. (12)

but for this error message I've only found errors like this, on other
distros, that
do nothing good on Fedora: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=138027

please help me to find out which package I should install, or setting
I should change.

Alternatively, please just let me know which other video editor can
quickly and surely "clip and save a few scenes from some mp4 files"
which is all I need right now, on Fedora 25, without hunting error
messages, libraries etc..

Thanks!

--
http://mfioretti.com