Re: rpmbuild

On 07/18/2017 09:07 AM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to patch gnuplot with
> https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/patches/694/
>
> However, it fails for several reasons,
> The first one is that the patch does not apply to last version
> of tabulate.c (maybe to a previous one).
> Then a fixed directly the tabulate.c file
>
> How can generate the package directly from the SOURCES?
> with rpmbuild
> I try to modify the .spc file by removing the
> #%patch0 -p1 -b .refto
> #%patch1 -p1 -b .font
> #%patch3 -p1 -b .plot-sigsegv
> #%patch4 -p1 -b .isinglethread
> #%patch5 -p1 -b .checkint
> #%patch6 -p1 -b .tabulate   # This fails
>
> But it does not work.
> because I guess that it does not compile my new sources but the old ones.
>
> Actually, %patch6 -p1 -b .tabulate
> would fails
> patch -p0 gnuplot-5.0.6a-tabulate.patch (manually)
> would be OK, but it fails from the .spec file

Patrick, it's very difficult to troubleshoot many of your issues as you
(and many others) rarely provide basic information other than "such-
and-such fails". This is somewhat like taking your car to a mechanic,
saying "the car is broken" and then walking away. How is it broken? What
doesn't work? Sorta hard on the mechanic.

In this case, you simply say "this patch fails" but do not include the
error messages involved in the failure. I'm not trying to point you out
specifically, but this really goes for anyone requesting help here on
the list...we need the context around the problem (error messages, log
entries, etc.). Otherwise we're trying to troubleshoot in a vacuum which
rarely ends in a viable solution.

In a nutshell, patch files are generally quite specific. They direct
"patch" to look for a pattern to match starting at a specific line in
the original file. If the original file you're trying to patch doesn't
correspond (fairly) closely to the one the patch was created for (e.g.
extra lines, punctuation changes such as tabs, etc.), yes the patch will
likely fail. We need the output of the patch command to tell you why
it's failing. As to how to fix it, you may have to manually patch the
file. If you do that, you can create a new patchfile for that patch on
that file by running "diff" on the pre-patched file and the patched
file. I'm sure the package maintainers would like to have it.