Re: Network dies on laptop lid closure

On 07/18/17 20:59, William Oliver wrote:
> I'm running Fedora 26 on a slightly old HP laptop using KDE.  One minor
> irritation is that whenever I close the lid of the laptop, the network
> turns off -- both wifi and wired.

I just did a fresh install on a Acer Aspire laptop from 2007.  Also a KDE only
system.  The only "issue" I had was that in "System Settings--->Hardware--->Power
Management--->Energy Savings"  the "When laptop lid is closed" was set to Suspend.  I
changed it to do nothing and that is what happens.  I have only a wireless connection
and it remains active.  I have the wireless box unchecked.

> I do a lot of downloads.  I like to start one, close the lid, and set
> the machine aside while I do other tasks.  But I can't, because the
> network turns off.
>
> A quick search using Google indicates that this is a recurrent issue.
> The solutions I've tried are;
>
> 1) Use the power management GUI in KDE system settings to set "Button
> events handling -> When laptop lid closed -> Do nothing"

Oh, right.  I could have saved some typing.

> This stopped the machine from going into hibernation, but the network
> still turned off.
>
> 2) Edited /etc/systemd/logind-conf to set
>
> HandleLidSwitch=ignore

Mine is still the default, #HandleLidSwitch=suspend, I suspect the KDE setting is
supposed to overrides this.

> and, when that didnt' work after reboot, I added:
>
> 3) LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=no
>
> even though I'm not sure what that does. That didn't work either.

From the logind.conf man page....

LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited= defaults to "yes". This means
           that when systemd-logind is handling events by itself (no low level
           inhibitor locks are taken by another application), the lid switch
           does not respect suspend blockers by default, but the power and sleep
           keys do.

I have the default.  The line is commented out.

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> This was an issue with Fedora 25, too, but not Fedora 24.  I never got
> around to dealing with it in 25 because of time issues.

Since it works for me, and I think we have similar settings, I don't think I've been
much help.   Is there, perhaps, a BIOS setting?

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly