Re: F26 and blurry fonts

Heinz Diehl <htd+ml@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> for those who love razorsharp fonts just like me but got the new v40 interpreter
> coming with freetype-2.7 enforced on them when installing F26: the good old v35
> interpreter is still there (and I hope it will be forever). You can
> use it by setting the environment variable
>
>  FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=truetype:interpreter-version=35

Cool, that works for GTK applications (eg, menus and other text) and
also software like Firefox (text in web pages), Thunderbird (mail) etc.

Do you know why the font display looks broken with the new v40 engine?
Is that a bug in the freetype library or something that has to be
fixed in all applications?

Unfortunately, with Anti-Antialiasing disabled, Google Chrome now
freaks out and - for unknown reasons - also disables Hinting.

In F25 (and before) Google Chrome just silently ignored fontconfig
(that's where I disabled anti-aliasing for specific fonts like Arial,
most other fonts look ugly without anti-aliasing). Google Chrome
continued to display all fonts anti-aliased.

Starting with F26, Chrome now respects the anti-aliasing config,
but although I have have turned Hinting on (which is essential for
nice font rendering, even with AA turned off), Chrome displays those
fonts without Hinting. That looks horrible. :-(

Does anybody know how to make Google Chrome have display fonts nicely?

> If you also want subpixel rendering, which now is disabled by default,
> you can dig into the foption.h file in the config directory of the
> freetype sourcecode, uncomment the option and recompile.

Does that mean, subpixel rendering has been completely removed
from the freetype library compiled for F26? Any reason for this?

Subpixel rendering has no effect if AA is turned off, right?

	Greetings, Andreas