Re: /dev/loop

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 13:22:50 +0200
"Patrick Dupre" <pdupre@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2 days ago, I received a brand new UBS key (Lexar S75).
> I inserted it inside the UBS port of my Linux machine.
> I open the key (it mounted automatically) and read the instructions
> about the encryption coming with the key (by opening a file).
> I did not pay too much attention because I was not interested,

This can be a recipe for disaster when working with computers.

> I just changed the size of the
> first partition and I added a ext4 partition.

Is it possible you made a mistake and actually changed a different
partition table?  The partition table for one of your disks?

> Later I turned off the PC.
> The following day, I tried to restart te computer, but I was
> unable to boot.
> Thus, I try to read the key from another computer and gparted did not
> like (fdisk was giving wrong partitions). Thus, I had to entirely
> repartition the stick.

Again, a good indication that you didn't actually partition the
USB stick when you thought you did.

> Anyway, I started to investigate the issues with the PC which could
> not boot. And I arrived at the point that the partition tables of the
> 3 HD were mess up.
>
> Now, I am making the link.
> Can this stick have a virus which may have mess up the partition
> tables.

I don't think so.

> Please, note that one of the HD probably still had a XP OS bootable.
> I did not use it for a very long time.
>
> What do you think?

Unless you ran a program from the USB stick, the fact XP was on the
disk would have no effect.  And it would have to be a linux program
that modified the partition tables, so it would have to run as root.
Opening a file would not do this.  Hmm, if you used an editor with a
script interpreter in it, and the file had a script for that editor,
and the script was set to run on open, and you were root, and Jupiter
aligned with Mars, and ...

Far more likely you partitioned the wrong disk.

Or, does that PC have power issues?  Or could one of the disks be
failing?