Can't change plymouth theme

The -R option to plymouth-set-default-theme appears to do absolutely nothing whatsoever. It grinds away, for a few seconds, but when it's done and over, the initramfs in /boot remains completely untouched.

Running plymouth-set-default-theme tells me that the theme has been changed. plymouth simply fails to rebuilt the initramfs.

It looks to me like plymouth is being neglected, to some degree. There are a bunch of bugs in Bugzilla that's been open for years, with nothing happening on them.

I am not a big fan of the default plymouth theme. It's quite boring, and simply reminds me how long it takes for Fedora to boot. At least solar was somewhat entertaining to watch, while various bits were coming alive…

But in F25, the solar theme was mostly broken. One of my laptops completely refused to boot, with the solar theme. Had to reluctantly reset it back to charge.

Another laptop did manage to survive F25's solar, but, basically, solar's grapics suffered from Tourette's syndrome, all the way through. I reported that bug. Someone else confirmed it, and that's one of the open plymouth bugs, gathering dust, that I mentioned.

So now, I wanted to take the laptop that tolerated solar somewhatm in F25, and see what's up with F26's solar. But, because of another bug, that's so old that I can't even find it anymore, every time the plymouth rpm gets updated the default theme gets rather rudely reinstalled, so I have to run plymouth-set-default-theme -R, to rebuild the initramfs.

But now, -R doesn't work for me. Well it still runs, but simply fails to rebuild the initramfs, without complaining about anything. I see nothing with any updated timestamp, in /boot. The initramfs there has not been rebuilt.

Oh well, just created another plymouth bug, I guess, to join the rest of them, gathering dust. Since plymouth-set-default-theme did set the default theme for future kernel installs, I guess I'll discover the results of this latest experiment the next time I update the kernel.