Re: Linux anti-virus any good?

Good morning,

(replying to a few messages at once)

> Linux has no viruses.

There are actually *two* reasons for starting this thread.  First, to get advice needed to choose the right "anti-virus" for my home workstation.  Second, I believe that the article that I referenced would be of real interest to many of this list's members.  The article makes it very clear that there is malware targeting Linux systems.  I really recommend a good, careful reading of the article.

> ... However, as Linux is often used to provide services to other systems ...

I agree, and that's part of what the article focuses on.  In my case, this is a stand-alone home workstation.

> The group may be independent and objective, but running tests with known malware samples
> is easy to do and not particularly helpful. What is more important than %detection of some
> collection of known malware is the track record of the vendor -- do they detect new variants of
> old malware? How quickly do they distribute database updates? Do the tests include 3rd party
> AV database updates ...

Thank-you George!  I needed that reminder.  I agree.

> Other testing organizations: https://www.av-comparatives.org
> https://www.icsalabs.com/ https://www.nsslabs.com/

I will check those out.  Thank-you.

> Given that the US government has limited use of Kaspersky software ...

I recall hearing about that in the news within the past couple of weeks, but I forgot which company the report focused on.  Thanks.  I agree with your point.

As advised in a separate recent thread, I've shut down sshd.  I use "rkhunter" and "chkrootkit" as advised in a thread some 4 tears ago.  I have "NoScript", "uBlock Origin", and "Better Privacy" add-ons in my Firefox, and I think Firefox itself tries to minimize or block some data-gathering ("browser fingerprinting"?).  I have Firefox set to not keep history, and to delete cache when exiting.  But there's spoofing, ever-cookies, phishing, browser and canvas fingerprinting, stegaongraphic concealment, and how many others that I haven't yet heard of.  I recall that last year (?), some phishing scam was good enough to fool some government chief of some government security agency.  I'm fallible too.  So I believe it would be a good idea to have and use good anti-malware on my system.  It's the workstation anti-malware that I'm interested in, not the server anti-malware.

Thank-you, everyone.
Bill.