Upgrade from Fedora 24 to F25 - does it include firmware installed directly to hardware devices, mainboard?

Hi All

I have a strange behaviour since upgrading from F24 to F25 a few days
ago: the mini display port on my laptop doesn't connect me anymore to
the external second screen, a TV monitor. This connection worked like a
charm on F24. And the mini display port cable is OK: I can see pre-login
messages on the connected TV monitor while booting the system.

If you're interested in the machine where this happens, software etc:
here's a message to the xorg list from me, a few weeks ago, on how
adding a second display to a computer with F24 worked very well:
https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg/2017-May/058744.html

The reason for this message today is only what you see in the subject
line: I simply want to rule out bugs that have nothing to do with the OS
itself, or software - like drivers, xorg packages etc.

I know that during such upgrade processes firmware is getting updated,
but so far I thought this was a change to a runnning OS, and not one
with persistent changes to hardware.

Details:

xrandr detects the mini display port, and the connection to the monitor,
but the monitor stays black in 99% of cases.

xrandr output:
DisplayPort-1-0 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
   1360x768      60.02 +

Please note the missing asterisk the last lines behind
"1360x768  60.02" that normally seems to indicate an established
connection to some external display.

journalctl often says:

/usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[4386]: (WW) RADEON(G0): drmWaitVBlank failed
for PRIME update: Invalid argument

Funny thing is: I have similar problems on a second OS (Debian 9) on the
same computer, on a separate disk - not necessarily with the same error
messages, but with similar results. Except that Debian even does not
detect the mini display port connection, contrary to Fedora 25. When I
saw that hours ago it made me wonder whether this is really just a
result of wrong settings, software/OS bugs, and not the result of some
new firmware installed to some hardware device.

If I can rule out this mentioned firmware issue I might try upgrade to
F26 and see if it helps.

Thanks a lot for your time
Wolfgang