Re: attempts to hack in?

Addendum - turn off any other firewall to use the one I just posted.

{^_^}

On 2017-06-29 18:24, Doug wrote:

On 06/29/2017 08:10 PM, jdow wrote:
A rule like this makes cracking your 123456 password a whole lot harder without changing anything else. iptables -t filter -A IN_public_deny -p tcp --dport pop3s --syn -m recent --name pop3s_attack --rcheck --seconds 90 --hitcount 2 -j LOG --log-prefix 'SSH2 REJECT: ' --log-level info

The magic is in "-m recent --rcheck --seconds 90 --hitcount 2". That means any given site gets one chance to login before facing a 90 second blockage. If they have to guess "AZBYCXDW" as a password you can imagine how long you have to catch him in your log and explicitly block his whole subnet.

{^_-}
Hi, Joanne--

I tried to write this command to a root console in PCLInuxOS, but it got rejected.

[root@linux1 doug]# iptables -t filter -A IN_public_deny -p tcp --dport pop3s --syn -m recent --name pop3s_attack --rcheck --seconds 90 --hitcount 2 -j LOG --log-prefix 'SSH2 REJECT: ' --log-level info
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Do I need some file installed first?
If so, what file? Can you help me, please?

--doug