Re: attempts to hack in?

On 06/29/2017 07:56 PM, Doug wrote:

On 06/29/2017 09:40 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
On 06/29/2017 06:48 PM, Doug wrote:

On 06/29/2017 08:32 PM, JD wrote:

On 06/29/2017 07:10 PM, jdow wrote:
iptables -t filter -A IN_public_deny -p tcp --dport pop3s --syn -m recent --name pop3s_attack --rcheck --seconds 90 --hitcount 2 -j LOG --log-prefix 'SSH2 REJECT: ' --log-level info
My iptables replied:
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.

How is it created?

How is WHAT created? I'm snowed!

Hi Doug,

Since firewalld didn't recognize that chain I'm starting to wonder if you are even running a firewall on your system which, if not, puts your system at great risk.

As root type "iptables-save". If you get a lot of output you have some sort of firewalling in place. If there is nothing there or only the two rules I provided earlier you do not have a safe machine because there are no firewall rules in place. If that is indeed the case you need to search for how to turn on a firewall on fedora and make that your priority.

I have no firewall. What I want is something like Windows has: Bitdefender, or Malware Bytes. If I turn on any of the suggested firewalls, something that I use will probably be blocked--email, Google, something. Sorry I'm just too stupid to understand this. I don't normally ever boot into Windows, but I have it on a couple
of machines--not this one.

How do you use this machine? Do you run it from the keyboard or do you log into it from a different machine? Is your mail on a remote machine like at gmail or yahoo?

If those answers are yes here is a very minimal firewall that will let you go out to anywhere you want, will only allow return traffic from connections you started, and will block every attempt from everywhere trying to establish a new connection from them onto your machine, except for ping.

Save the following into a file such as "myfirewall".

*filter
:INPUT DROP [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p icmp -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

Empty any old rules from the kernel firewall:

iptables -F

Load the firewall rules into the kernel (as root):

iptables-restore < myfirewall

To see what the kernel firewalls are (including the defaults you didn't add) (as root):

iptables-save

Bare minimum but I use that on everything before I connect it to the internet.