Re: Off topic: Does anybody know how to read a .ptx (E-Transcript) document file?

On Wed, 2017-06-28 at 22:18 +0930, Tim wrote:

> My understanding was that only an Original Equipment Manufacturer can
> sell/supply those OEM versions of the OS, and only to go with a
> particular PC (one of those "not to be sold separately" conditions).
> With only a retail package being something that could be sold as
> standalone.

That is the official line.  But NewEgg will openly sell it so I doubt
Microsoft doesn't know and at least quietly approve of the practice.
After all, they sell motherboards, cases, etc. People building up their
own computer ain't going to pay full boxed set retail price for Windows
and NewEgg would like to be the one who sells them their copy of
Windows.  Everybody knows these facts so Microsoft doesn't say anything.
They don't even force them to only sell a copy on the same ticket with a
motherboard.

Microsoft knows their model is busted.  That is why they are still
letting everyone with Win7/8 to upgrade to Win10 for free. That is why
they basically gave away Windows for free on netbooks until they could
quietly kill the whole product category.  The fake copy I bought forced
phone activation but that was just some friction in the gears to
discourage it, they still want to get the activation.  They know their
only hope is moving Windows to an Android model where they give away the
OS and rake off thirty thick and juicy points from all content sales in
the Store.

For work we bought a few from them to run our accounting VMs on.  Just
system builder Windows packs, nothing else on the invoice; no problem.
Not playing with eBay stuff when a BSA audit is possible.  I just wasn't
willing to personally pay as much for a Windows license as the machine
it was going onto was probably worth.  So I rolled the dice and for now
it counts as a win.