Re: Fedora 25: cxacru module (ADSL Modem USB) fail to load its firmware at boot time

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 14:39:28 +0200
Dario Lesca <d.lesca@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have migrate my home server from Fedora 11 to Fedora 25 with a new
> installation.
>
> All work fine except the load firmware of the cxacru module (ADSL
> Modem USB) at boot time, after a poweroff and unplug/plug the AC
> power cable.
>
> If I try reload the modules manually when the server is started I get
> the same error and the firmware is not loaded.
>
> If I disconnect and reconnect modem USB when the server is on, the
> cxacru module load its firmware without problem and I can load the ppp
> interface property .

[snip]

> I have do a script to run after boot in order to load cxacru module
> and ppp0 interface. But I must unplug and reattach manually the usb
> cable before run this script
>
> There is some way (command line) to simulate unplug/plug of Modem
> USB?
>
> Someone have some suggest?

Is it possible you are running into this warning from the kernel
documentation, cxacru-cf.py?

# Warning: cxacru-cf.bin with MD5 hash cdbac2689969d5ed5d4850f117702110
# contains mis-aligned values which will stop the modem from being able
# to make a connection. If the first and last two bytes are removed then
# the values become valid, but the modulation will be forced to ANSI
# T1.413 only which may not be appropriate.
#
# The original binary format is a packed list of le32 values.

And this about a change in the firmware from cxacru.txt

Firmware is required for this device:
http://accessrunner.sourceforge.net/

While it is capable of managing/maintaining the ADSL connection without
the module loaded, the device will sometimes stop responding after
unloading the driver and it is necessary to unplug/remove power to the
device to fix this.

Note: support for cxacru-cf.bin has been removed. It was not loaded
correctly so it had no effect on the device configuration. Fixing it
could have stopped existing devices working when an invalid
configuration is supplied.

There is a script cxacru-cf.py to convert an existing file to the sysfs
form.

Detected devices will appear as ATM devices named "cxacru".
In /sys/class/atm/ these are directories named cxacruN where N is the
device number. A symlink named device points to the USB interface
device's directory which contains several sysfs attribute files for
retrieving device statistics:

I didn't look deep enough to determine what the error codes mean
(-104), (-32).  They could be because of the above.

This might answer your request to simulate unplug/plug.

To enable/disable ADSL, the following can be written to the adsl_state
file: "start"
        "stop
        "restart" (stops, waits 1.5s, then starts)
        "poll" (used to resume status polling if it was disabled due to
failure)