Re: how to (re-?)construct grub menu?

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 01:35:18 -0000
"William Mattison" <mattison.computer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (replying to all three messages)
>
> When I boot, the bios display says it is UEFI.  Am I
> mis-understanding what that means?  Am I mis-using the term?

Your system supports efi, but it seems you aren't using it.

> My /boot directory has only two sub-directories: "grub" and "grub2",
> no sub-directory "efi".

Not sure why this is.  The fact that you have a grub directory implies
to me that you have been upgrading this system for a while.  I don't
have a grub directory in /boot, since it is legacy and deprecated.

> Each of the two sub-directories has a file called "grub.cfg".  The
> two files are identical, except for permissions.
>
> In /etc/fstab, the UUIDs are already correct, based on output by both
> the blkid command and the lsblk command (which blkid's man page says
> I really should use instead).

Confirming Joe's comment.

> I tried the grub2-mkconfig command in both sub-directories.  Then I
> rebooted.  The new menu has Fedora, other Fedora options, Windows 7
> (on /dev/sda1), and Windows 7 (on /dev/sda2).  Each option appears to
> boot up correctly, though I did not attempt to actually log in to a
> windows account.

It appears to have worked.

> Why are there two menu entries for windows?  On this system, sda1 is
> the master boot record, sda2 is the windows partition.

I don't think the MBR is given a partition assignment.  I don't run
windows, so I'm unfamiliar with how it is organized, but I seem to
recall reading that it can have a backup partition, so one of them
might be that.

> After signing in to Fedora, I get a crash message saying vmlinuz
> crashed.  I couldn't catch the whole message.  Yet the system does
> seem to work.  What's going on?

Try reinstalling the latest kernel, or booting an older kernel.  Are
there any other messages that would indicate the problem in journalctl
-b?  It seems that the kernel is having a problem, but it is not
fatal.  Something misconfigured?