Re: [F25] only black screen with KDE Plasma session

On 06/23/17 15:03, Frédéric Bron wrote:

> The screen is not the issue because I get the ssdm login screen perfectly well.
> Also it's a laptop with an external screen. I have tested with and
> without the external screen plug-in, same behaviour.

OK, I didn't know what your HW was.  FWIW, I have eliminated "it can't be" from my
vocabulary.  A while back I had a strange video issue.  The login screen was
perfectly fine all the time.  But when I logged in things went "crazy" after a time.
Turned out that during their midnight play sessions one of our cats must have jarred
a cable and after hours of trying to figure out what was going wrong a simple re-seat
fixed the issue.  Of course, with your configuration (and not cats) it can't be
so....  :-)

>> You haven't accidentally tried to open a Plasma KDE session under wayland, have you?
> I do not know wayland. I do not know how to open plasma under wayland.

Well, it is a selection on the lower left of the sddm login screen.  But, I think you
need to have a certain set of packages like qt5-qtwayland and
plasma-workspace-wayland installed.  If you don't have those.....
>> Is your Logon session set to "Restore Previous Session", "Restore Manually Saved
>> Session", or "Start Empty Session"?
> I do not remember. I turned the computer off automatically after
> backup. When I leave, I open a terminal, su to root, run dnf update,
> run my backup command followed by "; shutdown" so that the computer
> turns off automatically.
>
> I tried to launch systemsettings5 from another computer but I get a
> buggy window:
> $ ssh -X alpha systemsettings5
> libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
> libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Well....  If I run that command from an F26 VM I don't get that message.  If I run it
from a system running F25 I get that message but the systemsettings screen is
"fine".  I don't see anything particularly wrong with the display.

>> Since you can get to a text terminal.  Have you tried creating another user and then
>> logging in as that user?
> just done it, same problem with the new user

Humm.....

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly