Re: gnome-password-generator replacement?

Allegedly, on or about 19 June 2017, Patrick O'Callaghan sent:
> I have a number of bank accounts in several countries (for perfectly
> legitimate reasons, I hasten to add) and in my experience each bank
> has its own rules which as often as not mitigate *against* good
> security practice, e.g. forcing you to change the password every 3
> months (which invites password1, password2, password3 ...) or having
> their own peculiar Javascript which blocks you from using a password
> manager. One of them even disallows cut-and-paste, which tempts the
> user to have a password simple enough to remember and type by hand.

Yes, I'm tired of hosts with special rules, and they often are the
opposite of security.  Such as your password has to be 6 to 8 characters
long.  My long passphrase is far more secure than a 6 to 8 character
sequence, and far easier to type than mixed case and symbols.

I wish these dunderheads would get it through their thick skulls that
hard-to-type passwords does not equal hard-to-crack.

Long ago, I set a password on something, but must have mistyped it in,
the first time around.  It took me ages to try out all the possible
typing errors that might have occurred.  I loathe password entry boxes
that don't let you see what you're typing in.

After one site gave me the runaround with their stupid rules, I set a
passphrase that was my low opinion of the service.  Later on, I had to
say the password to one of their phone help people to resolve a problem.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
(always current details of the computer that I'm writing this email on)

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

I reserve the right to treat other people in exactly the same way that
they treat me.