Re: Mailman is broken

Allegedly, on or about 09 June 2017, Ed Greshko sent:
> Probably, eventually.   After I study the differences between the
> headers of an S/MIME message to the list compared with the headers of
> a PGP/MIME message (which I have verified does survive) and determine
> if it is a case of real breakage or a case of Thunderbird not doing
> the right thing.
>
> So, I need to know more about S/MIME, PGP/MIME, the abilities of
> Thunderbird, and then the mechanics of mailman before I can somewhat
> intelligently talk about it.  :-)
>
> (FWIW, this message is signed with S/MIME from within Thunderbird) and
> the message you replied to was signed with PGP/MIME.

That one came through, okay.  Having a look at the source of the
message, the list added it's signature as another section to the mail.
The different parts of the mail have individualised headers that tell
each section apart, as well as which parts are associated with each
other.  And, by the converse, the boundary marker provides a division
that is to be regarded separately.

The signed portion of the message, is just that:  It's a *portion* of
the message that's signed.  It has to work that way, as the headers will
change in transit.  And, as we see on lists, footers can be added.

So a signed message doesn't authenticate the entire posting, just some
portion of it.  Unfortunately, the mail client doesn't indicate which
parts are verified by the signature.  Nor does mine indicate that only
some portion of the message is verified.  It's probably possible to
forward someone's signed message, add stuff below the signed content,
and fool people.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
(always current details of the computer that I'm writing this email on)

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

I'd just like to say that vinyl record crackles and pops are far less
annoying than digigigigital mu-u-u-u-usic hiccicicicups and