Re: 2 mice: left & right handed

On 06/06/17 20:17, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 06/06/2017 11:28 AM, andrea wrote:
running F25 GNOME on Wayland and have 2 mice.
One on the left and one on the right of the keyboard.

I would like to set the left as left handed and the right as right handed.

In GNOME settings I cannot change it per mouse, rather for all of the at the same time.

That is a rather unusual use case.  I've never seen a configuration tool that could handle that.

I read that this is a libinput matter, but I cannot find how to do it.

For Wayland (and possible X, depending on configuration), libinput handles the input devices. On Wayland, the only way to change that configuration is to use the desktop provided tools or write your own. I suspect it would be a very simple program with very few lines if you went that way. If you switch back to X, you can use xinput to change it for the session or an xorg.conf.d snippet to change it always. It might be possible to use a udev config to switch it for both Wayland and Xorg, but I don't know for sure.

This is what xinput shows, rather uninformative and even with --long I have no way to link any of them to something I recognize (e.g. no brand name etc.)

andrea@localhost:~$ xinput --list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ xwayland-pointer:13                     	id=6	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ xwayland-relative-pointer:13            	id=7	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ xwayland-keyboard:13                    	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]

tried xinput get-button-map and the ones that show something show all an unaltered map

andrea@localhost:~$ xinput get-button-map 4
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

even if I currently have left-handed mouse, so clearly GNOME is not using this method to swap them all.

Does anybody know how GNOME handles it?

I find so unnatural to use a left handed mouse with the right and the other way round.

I could write a uinput handler and present a new virtual device where I swap button clicks and pass everything else unaltered, but there must be already one out there.

Andrea