Re: IP address or DNS name (bug or feature)

Allegedly, on or about 05 June 2017, Walter H. sent:
> I'm using inside my network a .local domain which is defined in a ZONE
> on my DNS - so no problem ...

If somewhere on your LAN are things using ZeroConf, Bonjour, or other
similar autonomous psuedo-DNS software (client or server), then
using .local for your own DNS records will probably cause problems.
Those things (ZeroConf et al), expect to have control of it all by
themselves, and get their knickers in a twist if you get involved.

And, not only that, they do their name resolutions using a different
system, on a different port number.  So, printer software, for example,
trying to work out where laserjet.local can be found, is unlikely to
consult your regular DNS server on port 53.  And the converse is true,
as I found out, with my printer that wanted to self-configure using
the .local scheme, and only the .local scheme.  I have a fully working
traditional DNS, but no multicast DNS (ZeroConf, Bonjour, etc).  The
printer got nowhere with it's self-misconfiguration routines.

If you had a purely old-school DNS setup, you can almost get away with
using any name that isn't in use by anything else (my problem with an
annoying Pixma printer proved that, even then, it's a problem, as you
add new hardware).  In the past, there was a list of suggested top-level
domains, for LANs, that included .local.  But, since then, at least one
of those autonomous systems began using .local for themselves.

There is one virtually guaranteed way to manage your own DNS without any
conflicts, and that's to register a domain name.  It's yours, you can do
what you like with it, and other people are prevented from making public
use of it (something that would cause you problems).  You don't even
have to use it with a website, or other public service.  But if you do
use it on the WWW, then you can make a subdomain for your LAN, to
separate the two without managerial headaches.

If you don't want to go down that route, then choose one of the other
(current) recommendations.  And be prepare to keep an eye out for
changes to that list of recommendations.

Supposedly, these auto-config DNS-like systems should make things
simpler for you.  You'd simply call your computer a name, put a name
into your printer, likewise with your router (though many devices come
preconfigured with their own names), and the auto-config networking will
handle all the behind-the-scenes name resolution without you having to
do a thing.  Mind you, it's like that plug-and-play debacle, where you
have to trust everything on your LAN, and anything plugged in is
implicitly allowed to do whatever it wants to.  That might be okay for
basic home LANs, but not so for offices where random dopey employees may
plug in random un-authorised devices.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
(always current details of the computer that I'm writing this email on)

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

I reserve the right to be as hypocritical as the next person.