Re: post-mortem: f24 boot fails; need help.

> Look up S.M.A.R.T., though be aware that some controllers may not
> co-operate, but that tends to be things like outboard USB interfaces, or
> RAID.  Ordinary hard drives plugged straight into the motherboard are
> likely to be checkable.  It's the hard drive, itself, that checks its
> health and produces the stats, smartctl just gives you an interface.

Please see my reply to Rick.

> That you ought to try rebooting using a previous kernel, and see if
> problems persist.

I did, and the problem showed up with all three of the latest f24 versions available in the grub menu.

> Yes, an update can be more stressful than other PC activities, for
> *some* users.  But for other users, they're always subjecting their PC
> to a heavy workload, so a prolonged update session is nothing different
> from normal use.

I don't understand what you're saying here.  Both weekly patches went very quickly (I wish windows-7 were like that!) and with no errors reported in the output.

> But what type of power supply did you put in?  Did you match the wattage
> your supplier said you needed, did you overcompensate by an extra 100
> watts?  Did you get some generic Chinese thing, or something that had a
> reputation?

I did not figure out that part for myself.  I got advice from a friend with decades of experience working for IBM's high performance division, and then for Cray research.  The power supply is a Thermaltake TR2 600W.  The system also has a Core i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz x 8, 16 GB memory, GeForce GTX 660 graphics card, an ASUS Xonar Essence STX audio card, a 2 TB hard drive, 2 blu-ray drives, keyboard, trackball, web cam (rarely plugged in), two 27-inch Dell monitors, and 2 small speakers.  It's no gaming system, but a rather high-powered programming workstation by 2013 standards.

Thank-you,
Bill.