Re: f24 boot fails; need help.

On Fri, 12 May 2017 02:42:56 -0000
"William Mattison" <mattison.computer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> Based on what y'all said, I'd say I'm in a "dracut shell".  I cannot
> reach any login whatsoever, using any of the techniques y'all
> suggested.

Sure sounds like it.

> The directory "/usr/bin/" does not have many things in it.  It does
> have "less" and "vi" and "cp" and "mount" and "umount" and others,
> but no "more, no "man".  Fortunately, "vi" (and "vim", "gvim", and
> "view") are the editors I'm most comfortable with.  There is no
> "nano".  I saw no browser or e-mail, but I did see "ping".

The system is limited at this point.

> I did not see any "/home/" directory!  (This has me seriously
> concerned!)

It's just not mounted yet (I think).

> "sudo" and "dnf" are not available.

Too high level for this stage of boot.

> If you can give me good complete answers to a few questions, it will
> help me to help you to help me: 1. I do have USB ports on the front
> of my tower.  How can I find out their device IDs? 2. How can I get
> this dracut shell to recognize and talk to a USB stick inserted into
> one of those USB ports?  Since I don't have the "man" command, but I
> do have "mount" and "umount" commands, maybe I can use them to help
> me get information to you. 3. I know how to use "cp" to copy files
> around various directories, but I don't know how to use "cp" to copy
> files to a USB stick. With these, I hope that I can put the desired
> logs onto the USB stick, and then use the windows system to put log
> file lines-of-interest here in the fedora users forum.

I can't really help with those questions.  If you insert the USB stick
into the port, the kernel should recognize it, so it will have a link
in /dev.  You can then mount that at a directory of your choosing.  The
stick will need a file system on it in order to cp data to it.  If you
are going to use windows to read it, you should probably use something
like vfat.  I would look at the stuff below before I went to this
trouble, as it might be something simple and obvious, or you might
get the boot working with the symlink technique.

Here is some online information about the dracut shell that might help
you to get to a booted system, from the fedora wiki.

 Identifying your problem area

    Remove rhgb and quiet from the kernel command line
    Add rd.shell to the kernel command line. This will present a shell
    should dracut be unable to locate your root device
    Add rd.shell rd.debug log_buf_len=1M to the kernel command line so
    that dracut shell commands are printed as they are executed
    Inspect the system logs:

     # less /run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt
     # journalctl -a
     # dmesg
     # less /run/initramfs/init.log

 Accessing the root volume from the dracut shell

>From the dracut debug shell, you can manually perform the task of
locating and preparing your root volume for boot. The required steps
will depend on how your root volume is configured. Common scenarios
include:

    A block device (e.g. /dev/sda7)
    A LVM logical volume (e.g. /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00)
    An encrypted device
    (e.g. /dev/mapper/luks-4d5972ea-901c-4584-bd75-1da802417d83) A
    network attached device (e.g.
    netroot=iscsi:@192.168.0.4::3260::iqn.2009-02.org.fedoraproject:for.all)

The exact method for locating and preparing will vary. However, to
continue with a successful boot, the objective is to locate your root
volume and create a symlink /dev/root which points to the file system.
For example, the following example demonstrates accessing and booting a
root volume that is an encrypted LVM Logical volume.

    Inspect your partitions using parted

    # parted /dev/sda -s p
    Model: ATA HTS541060G9AT00 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 60.0GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

    Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
     1      32.3kB  10.8GB  107MB   primary   ext4         boot
     2      10.8GB  55.6GB  44.7GB  logical                lvm

    You recall that your root volume was a LVM logical volume. Scan and
    activate any logical volumes

    # lvm vgscan
    # lvm vgchange -ay

    You should see any logical volumes now using the command blkid:

    # blkid
    /dev/sda1: UUID="3de247f3-5de4-4a44-afc5-1fe179750cf7" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda2: UUID="Ek4dQw-cOtq-5MJu-OGRF-xz5k-O2l8-wdDj0I"
    TYPE="LVM2_member" /dev/mapper/linux-root:
    UUID="def0269e-424b-4752-acf3-1077bf96ad2c"
    TYPE="crypto_LUKS" /dev/mapper/linux-home:
    UUID="c69127c1-f153-4ea2-b58e-4cbfa9257c5e"
    TYPE="ext3" /dev/mapper/linux-swap:
    UUID="47b4d329-975c-4c08-b218-f9c9bf3635f1" TYPE="swap"

    From the output above, you recall that your root volume exists on
    an encrypted block device. Following the guidance disk encryption
    guidance from the Fedora 25 Installation Guide, you unlock your
    encrypted root volume.

    UUID=$(cryptsetup luksUUID /dev/mapper/linux-root)
    cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/mapper/linux-root luks-$UUID
    Enter passphrase for /dev/mapper/linux-root:
    Key slot 0 unlocked.

    Next, make a symbolic link to the unlocked root volume

    ln -s /dev/mapper/luks-$UUID /dev/root

    With the root volume available, you may continue booting the system
    by exiting the dracut shell

    exit