State of scim in Fedora

I'm wondering if anyone is still using scim successfully in Fedora, and still finds it functional.

I'm hacking my own IM code. I have it working, more or less, with ibus; but I thought it would be good idea to also try it with other IM server. I saw that scim is still packaged for Fedora; I uninstalled all the ibus packages and then installed all the scim packages.

After rebooting, the first thing that was apparent is that the input method server was not getting started when I logged into the desktop (XFCE), and I couldn't find any panel icon to switch input methods.

Ok, so I ran scim-setup. Then I started scim manually from a terminal, but despite configuring, in scim-setup, the hotkey to switch input methods, I could not get any response to the hotkey using existing clients that I know are IM-enabled. Trying to run my own code, I could see that it has no issues connecting to scim, and negotiating the protocol, but then scim stops responding to all further messages.

After tinkering around, and not making much progress, I uninstalled scim, and reinstalled ibus. After a reboot, ibus started right up, with my old ibus configuration, and my IM code was fine, once more.

So, I'm not sure whether this is the case of scim not working with XFCE; whether I'm missing a package that needs to be installed; whether all the scim packages are there just because they still build; or something else.