Re: VNC Window Manager won't start

On 04/14/2017 12:02 AM, Chris Kottaridis wrote:
> I have a Fedora 25 installation that was setup originally with server
> installation and have since added gnome desktop package groups and others.
>
> On the console I get a standard non-graphical login prompt and from
> there I can type startx and get into gnome just fine.
>
> I don't want to change that.
>
> I do want to use VNC to connect in over net and run gnome. I have
> everything setup but when I connect into the VNC I initially got a blank
> screen. I can get more than a blank screen by changing my local user's
> xstartup script. For example if I add "gnome-terminal &" I'll have a
> gnome terminal up on the blank screen just fine. I can add vncconfig
> -iconic and that will be up as well.
>
> However there is no window manager running so I can't move these windows
> and while I can start other applications from the gnome-terminal I have
> up I don't get the graphical icons available to click on to start programs.
>
> Clearly I can not seem to get a window manager to startup.
>
> I tried the default xstartup:
> #!/bin/sh
>
> unset SESSION_MANAGER
> unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
> exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>
> and another example called xstartup.gnome-try:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vns/startup
> [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $Home/.Xresources
>
> if test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ; then
> eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax -exit-with-session`
> echo "D-BUS per-session daemon address is: $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"
> fi
> exec gnome-session
>
> Like I said if I add lines like
>
> gnome-terminal &
>
> or
>
> vnccnfig -icon &
>
> Before any of the exec lines those apps seem to be running.
>
> Just no window manager.
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> I want to keep the console with an ASCII login and then use startx to
> get a GUI from the console, but I want to also be able to get a GUI via VNC

Have you thought of running a separate Xvnc server on the machine? Xvnc
creates a virtual X server that's not tied to the physical
display/keyboard/mouse on the machine.

You'll need to put a ~/.vnc/xstartup script in the desktop user's home
directory, something like this (which we use to start Xfce on the Xvnc
"display"):

	unset SESSION_MANAGER
	unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
	startxfce4 &

The ~/.vnc/xstartup script will be executed by vncserver when it starts
up in order to establish the desktop environment.

Once you've created
the file, that's done, as
that desktop user, run vncserver:

	/usr/bin/vncserver -geometry 1600x900

Remote VNC clients can access the machine via a GUI by connecting
something like:

	vncviewer server-IP-address:1

and get a completely separate X session from any others you wish to run
from the server's console. We do this on a couple of servers in our
data center where we must use a GUI interface. I think that'll do what
you want.

Should you wish to, you can even make this work essentially on demand
from xinetd. I've not done it, but it's possible.