Re: i want to install a package from debian to fedora

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 07:06:14 +0800
Amir-Trend Plus <trend669953@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> i am a new user here, using fedora 25 with a screen reader. Since i
> use the assistive technology, i need to use a package, not one i
> think, maybe two, packages from debian. The first one, adds support
> for the new voice available on fedora, called, espeak-ng. It needs a
> driver to communicate with my speech-dispatcher, an interface that
> will provide speech using the synthesizer. Unfortunately, the driver
> is not availablne in .rpm, but in debian it is available. Both debian
> and rpm are using the 0.86 version of this app, so i think it is not
> an issue of version. I tried alien and when installing, it said
> conflict with file. I also cannot find the source package for this.
> The package i mean is, speech-dispatcher-espeak-ng, available from
> this link,
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/main/speech-dispatcher-espeak-ng
> if anyone can convert it to rpm and i can install it, it will be
> great! _______________________________________________

I don't use speech synthesizers, but I took a quick look at this.  I
don't think it is possible to morph the Debian package into something
that will work with speech-dispatcher.  The modules are integrated into
speech-dispatcher, and they need a separate conf file in Fedora's
speech-dispatcher.  While the Debian package has a single payload
called espeak-ng, without a configuration file.

I don't know enough about these apps to say whether it would be
possible to just take the binary payload espeak-ng from the Debian
package and put it in /usr/lib64/speech-dispatcher-modules/
(or /usr/lib/speech-dispatcher-modules on 32 bit) and skip the
configuration file, and have it work.  Maybe.

Or compile it from the source and do the same.