Re: Is there a way to stop ipv6 leakage without turning off ipv6?

Allegedly, on or about 10 April 2017, Stephen Morris sent:
> am I correct in understanding that you are saying that even
> though I have IPv6 set to link-local, that IPv6 is still being
> attempted across the internet gateway, and in my case because my ISP
> doesn't support IPv6, I am assuming those packets would be rejected
> and hence the system would fall back to IPv4, or is it the case that
> IPv6 is tried for every transmission, which would then make internet
> access horribly inefficient?

There's a yes and no answer to that, it will depend on the application.

I've found that mplayer would first try IPv6, wait for that to fail,
then try IPv4, before playing a file.  It tries IPv6 because I had IPv6
on my LAN, as far as my router, but my ISP doesn't support IPv6 (so I'd
need access to an external gateway).

If I totally removed any IPv6 networking from my LAN, it was quicker to
start playing streams.  Though, the odd thing is that even without IPv6
networking, my DNS server still returns answers for IPv6 addresses (it
can still do that through whatever means it has of getting out into the
internet).  So, to really stop mplayer from always trying IPv6 first, I
had to configure mplayer not to do that.

Chances are you may have to do that with your browser.  Because if
anything gives it an IPv6 answer for an address that you're trying to
browse (whether that answer comes from your DNS server or a proxy
server), it's going to try *it* first.

I think that our ISPs are really dragging their heels on this.  IPv6 has
been around for years, they've been replacing networking equipment for
years, it's well past the point where we should have working IPv6 as a
matter of course.

* In this case the ISP "doesn't support" IPv6 meaning that it's not
there, rather than they simply won't give any help with it.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

Moments after you've soldered the wires onto the plug just perfectly,
you'll realise that you forgot to put the backshell on.