Re: F25: Desktop PC not booting without a screen

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 15:53:44 +0800
Ed Greshko <ed.greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/28/17 14:13, Eigeldinger Simon wrote:
> > I guess the plugs or the transistor seems to be the only solution
> > at the moment. I wonder if we could ask the devs to find a solution
> > to that?
>
> Well, given the nature of the LiveOS images they would have to create
> a whole new "spin" that is pre-configured to run the way you desire.
> I don't know how much effort would be involved.  But it would add to
> the QA process.  But it never hurts to ask.
> > According to the wayland people this shouldn't be much trouble.
> > As far as i know Fedora already uses wayland?
>
> For the Gnome desktop the default is now Wayland with a fallback to
> X11 if the drivers in use don't support Wayland.

Ed is right.

But there might be a messy workaround using the existing LiveOS image.
I've never done this, and I haven't used a LiveOS, so these
instructions could be completely wrong.  After you are booted into the
image, switch to a virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F2). I think that you can
then login as root with the empty password, but that is from memory of
messages on the mailing list.  If you can, you can then dnf install the
dummy driver, and add the xorg.conf file for it.  Since you aren't
using actual hardware, you can make the screen 4k for lots of real
estate, if you want.  Then kill X.  You might be able to just logout
of the gui desktop (Ctrl-Alt-F1), but that also might shutdown the
LiveOS.  If logging out doesn't work, you can find the pid of X by using
top or ps. After X is no longer running, switch to a different virtual
console (Ctrl-Alt-F3), and type startx. This should start X with the
dummy screen.  A lot of ifs and maybes in there, but it might work.

If it does, it would only last while you were up with the current
version of the LiveOS.  If you rebooted, you would have to go through
it all again.

Another possibility is building a custom virtual image that does what
you want.  But I'm even more ignorant there than about LiveOS images.