Re: Freezing

On 03/24/2017 02:00 AM, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since 1 week, when I update my machine (fedora24) by using
> dnf update, during the update, the graphic screen freezes.
> The update end properly.

You really should upgrade to F25, simply because F26 is around the
corner and 6 months after that happens, support for F24 will end and
you'll be forced to go to at least F25 anyway. You might as well get it
over with now. :-)

> The only thing that I can do it to open a text terminal.
> and restart the machine.
> I do not see any wrong, except that there is a process
> /usr/bin/gnome-shell
> which takes 100% of cpu
> Even if I kill it, the graphics does not recover.
> It seems that there is always such a process running, but it does not charge
> the machine.

gnome-shell is a big part of the Gnome3 desktop. There are large
numbers of anecdotal reports of it getting into weird states where it
consumes all of the CPU and blocks other processes from getting
resources. I don't know that there ever was a single cause of that
behavior found. Killing gnome-shell will not necessarily free the
machine up and make the GUI work as it is a significant component of
the desktop and the real solution is to restart your desktop session
somehow (perhaps by killing your session manager) or reboot.

I rarely use Gnome3. Last time I spent time with it (granted, it was at
least a year ago), it looked like it was designed for tablets and I
don't care for that metaphor on my main systems. I've never gotten fond
of KDE and I've never really done anything with the other desktops
that others swear by. I'm an old f*rt and I liked the old Gnome2
desktop, so I use Xfce (which is fairly close to the way Gnome2 worked
and felt).

(putting on my flack jacket and helmet to await the inevitable
onslaught of Gnome3 and KDE lovers hurling grenades and tactical nukes
in my general direction)