Re: [F25] issue with SSL connexions: Failure of SSL transaction with

stan:
>> One thing I know slows down browsing is the way sites outsource much
>> of their content.  The browser has to access many sites on the web to
>> put together a page for you to view.  Blocking this as much as
>> possible not only speeds up page loading, but also hinders tracking
>> sites.

Peter SkensvedL:
>   mvps is your friend here :
>
> http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Way back in the past, I used to do that kind of thing, but found that my
PCs struggled with moderately large hosts files, never mind one that
big.  It made all domain name look-ups slow, as it everything had to
trawl through that hosts file, first.

Whether that's still an issue, I don't know.  But, instead, I ended up
doing the same thing with my local DNS server, instead, it offloaded the
burden to a central point, to software that was designed to be good at
DNS resolutions.  So one thing in my LAN takes care of all my computers.

I also did it slightly differently, rather than return a bogus IP for
the blocked sites, such as their 0.0.0.0 answer, I return a no-answer
(i.e. no such domain exists).  That quickly kills off any connection
attempt.

Some software will try to do something with a 0.0.0.0 IP, regardless of
whether they ought to, or not.  Likewise, giving forbidden domains the
127.0.0.1 IP of your own computer causes its own problems, masses of
bogus connection attempts to non-existent things on your own computer.
All of which wait for the attempt to time-out and fail.  Or, if you have
a local webserver, hammer your webserver for non-existent files.

My named.conf file is populated with configuration lines like this:

zone "adimages.com"             { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "admonitor.com"            { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "adsfac.net"               { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "advertising.com"          { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };

One per forbidden domain, or sub-domain (if I want partial blocking,
such as doing nothing about example.com but killing ads.example.com).

To avoid cluttering your named.conf file, you could use a second
"blocking" file, that named.conf imports when it starts up.  That would
allow easier manipulation of it, with less risk to the normal
configuration.

And this is the entire contents of the dead.zone file:

$TTL 10
@       IN      SOA     ns.localdomain.  hostmaster.mail.localdomain. (
                        202 ; serial
                        20 ; refresh
                        20 ; retry
                        20 ; expire
                        20 ; ttl
                        )

        IN      NS      ns.localdomain.

It has the basic details required for a zone file (in that incarnation
of the BIND DNS server), but no records to return any IPs.

However, all of these methods start to fail in some modern browsers,
which started doing their own DNS look-ups.  Why they do that can be
guessed at being due to two things:

Realising that many users have awful ISPs (as I did, which is why I've
run my own DNS servers for many years), they took the easy solution of
having their web browser product use some *other* DNS server.

As a counteraction so that adblockers wouldn't stop their product from
showing adverts.

There's been a bit of an outcry about that last issue.  And I'd noticed
some blocked things (by my DNS server) getting through in recent times.

If advertisers weren't such bastards, there wouldn't be a need for such
blocking.  Some small advert sitting out of the way on the side of a
page isn't worth caring about.  But there are sites where there's more
advertising than content, badly written scripts that peg your CPU at
100%, tracking, spyware, malware, etc.  If advertisers want to bitch
about being blocked, they need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

Ha ha ha ha... (I couldn't think of a good joke, so I supplied a laugh
track, instead.)