How to add words to system spell-checking dictionary

Repost of my question on Ask Fedora -- https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/101943/how-to-add-words-to-system-spell-check-dictionary/

I'm trying to figure out how to add words to a spelling dictionary so that I get the most impact for the effort --- some way to have it apply to all applications, *or at least as many of the ones I actually use* as possible.

If I have to target specific spell checkers for specific applications, then I'm mostly interested in adding words to the spell checking dictionaries used by the applications I most often compose text with: Firefox for web forms, Evolution for email, Atom and gedit for code and plain text, and LibreOffice for office documents. Each of these applications has a way to add words to their own spelling dictionary, but those dictionaries are application-specific, and I would have to add a given word to all of them. So I've been hunting to see If they share a single spell-check system, or even if there's 2 or 3 systems that covers all of those. Here's what I've found out so far:

I notice my system in particular has these packages which match "spell" in the name, plus enchant:

* aspell - 12:0.60.6.1-14.fc25
* gnome-python2-gtkspell - 2.25.3-48.fc25
* gspell - 1.2.3-1.fc25
* gtkspell - 2.0.16-11.fc24
* gtkspell3 - 3.0.9-1.fc25
* hunspell - 1.4.1-1.fc25
* hunspell-en - 0.20140811.1-5.fc24
* hunspell-en-GB - 0.20140811.1-5.fc24
* hunspell-en-US - 0.20140811.1-5.fc24
* enchant - 1:1.6.0-14.fc25
* python3-enchant - 1.6.8-1.fc25

Wikipedia says hunspell replaces myspell and is widely used. `rpm --query --requires` says that Firefox and LibreOffice both depend on hunspell. gedit uses gspell, which relies on enchant, which can use myspell as a backend --- and the directory `/usr/share/myspell/` is actually owned by hunspell. Atom's spell-checking package searches in the myspell directory too, so it seems like I *should* have a good chance of doing everything I want to do from the hunspell configuration. So I tried creating a user addon dictionary by creating the file `~/.hunspell_en_US` containing a few line-separated words (all lower case except for proper nouns, no /flags or anything). However, those words are still marked as a spelling error in all the applications I'm testing on, *except* for hunspell itself, via the command line tool.

Why isn't it working?

[1]: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mosquito/atom/