Re: Running local SSH as background process - possible??

On 03/04/2017 06:41 AM, bruce wrote:
> Ok guys,
>
> I know this isn't strictly "Fed" related, but the group might have suggestions.
>
> My use case, the process has a number of remote servers. I'd like to
> be able to run a bunch of commands on the remote servers as fast as
> posible. The initial thought was to loop through the different
> IPAddresses, and SSH into each server, to run the commands.
>
> However, this process was still "sequential" in that each SSH session
> needs to complete, prior to running the next server/ssh command.
>
> So, my question/need -- is to figure out how to run a ssh as a
> background on the local server. This approach would/should allow the
> process to quickly fire off commands to the remote ipaddresses/servers
> in a much faster/parallel manner.
>
> sortof:
>
> foreach iplist as ipaddress
>
>  ssh user1@ipaddress command &  (assuming that the '&' runs the local
> ssh in the background -- it doesn't!)
>

> Running "stuff" on the remote can occur in a "Screen" session, which
> would allow the ssh process to fire off the remote cmd, but it still
> doesn't run the local ssh as a "background" process..
>
> Rick has mentioned/discussed the "Screen" function in past threads.

Yes, screen is useful. Have a look a the "pdsh" command and its
companion, "dshbak". I use it a lot to manage our storage systems.

For example, each of the machines involved has an "/etc/machines" file
of:

	seg1-r0
	seg2-r0
	seg3-r0
	seg4-r0
	seg5-r0
	seg6-r0

They also all have shared ssh keys. If I use the command:

	pdsh -a "ps ax" | dshbak

on one of them, they all will do a "ps ax" command asynchronously and
dshbak will sort the output so that the output of each machine is kept
together. Similarly,

	pdsh -w seg[1,2]-r0 "ps ax" | grep dshbak

will only run the command on the first two machines. You get the idea.