Re: system crashes - is there a way/app/process to restore the system?

On 02/24/2017 12:23 PM, Terry Polzin wrote:
> Define "everything", system services are started provided they are
> enabled. (systemctl / init.d)

Terry, we try not to top-post on this list. Just a gentle nudge.

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 2:29 PM, bruce <badouglas@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:badouglas@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Hey guys.
>
>     Had a system crash, and was wondering, in the fed/centos world (v6 and
>     above -guess that would be fed 22??) is there a process that can
>     basically scan the system, so that if the system crashes, everything
>     would be auto started on restart.

Terry's comments are correct. System-level things should autostart at
boot if they're enabled via "systemctl enable blah" or "chkconfig blah
on" and the startup scripts don't abort if old PID or "/var/run" files
are left around. Note these are SYSTEM services--not user-specific
items.

>     Also, would it allow the gedit processes to be fired up with the
>     requisite files being edited??

gedit and such are desktop applications and won't autostart unless
they're configured to start on session startup. Session startup won't
occur until you log in as the desktop user OR you have auto-login of
your user set up.

>     I saw something for ubuntu - dconf-editor, and I've seen some things
>     within the gconf where you can specify certain processes to be run on
>     startup.
>
>     But I'm more looking for something I can run, so that if I have a
>     crash, the system is pretty much back running prior to the crash.

If you've snapshotted your session (e.g. under XFCE, go to
"Applications", then "Settings", then click on "Session and Startup",
select the "session" tab and click the "Save Session" button), then
your session should be restored to that state when you log in--but only
to the level that the individual applications (and session manager)
support session snapshotting. Not all do. I use XFCE with the
xfce4-session session manager and xfwm4 window manager and they do a
fairly decent job of snapshotting. Not perfect, but reasonably good.