Re: Need help with mounting an old logical volume

Caveat:  I don't use logical volumes, and my knowledge of them is
rudimentary at best.  But I think I can offer some crude help.  At
least it might point you in a direction.

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 01:44:02 -0500
Fulko Hew <fulko.hew@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To make a long story short, my laptop screen died, so I bought a new
> laptop. I installed Fedora 25.  Then I wanted to copy my old stuff
> off of the old drive

[snip]

> c) Having the UUID, I then used 'vgrename UUID fedora_old'

I'm only guessing, but this was probably the step that changed the
inodes (unless the drive is failing).  There is probably some different
default in F25 than there was in F23.

> d) Then I needed 'ls /dev/fedora_old' to see the 'sub-device' called
> 'root00'
> e) That let me 'mount /dev/fedora_old/root00 mydir'
>
> That was good enough to allow me to copy some of my data off,
> but it wasn't showing anything in /home/fulko.

This doesn't make sense.  Is your home partition a separate partition
from /?  If it is, you'll have to mount it separately.  The empty
partition that you are trying to read under / will me masked by the
external assignment to home at boot.

> My next step was to plug an external monitor into that old laptop
> and reboot, and try to FTP the remainder of my data from /home/fulko.
>
> That didn't work because the volume name was now changed.
> So I had to change it back.

Try this instead.  Use F25 to rename the volume back to fedora-old.
Then mount it in F25 and edit the fstab for the F23 install to use the
new name.  Better yet, use the UUID instead of the name.  Then reboot
F23 and it should find and use the new name. Are you using a separate
boot, or is boot part of the root partition? You might have to edit the
grub2 stanza in /boot/grub2/ to be sure that the UUID mentioned there is
the UUID of the root partition in your fstab.

[snip]

> Now what?

You hope for an expert here to comment.

> I'm afraid of running fsck on it to resolve whatever problems it may
> have, (because I'm afraid of screwing it up even more)
> and on the other hand, what did I do wrong to get problems in the
> place?
>
> Comments and suggestions will be more than welcome.

I hope so.  :-)