Re: DKMS not Issuing Modprobe After Driver Compile at Boot Time

On 13/02/2017 15:46, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 02/13/17 11:43, Ed Greshko wrote:
I have done some checking and have yet to determine why dkms feels the
need to rebuild the modules.

Does the module loading succeed on subsequent boots?

Well, my knowledge seems "Out of Date".

Even though the additions install process mentions "dkms" it isn't using
dkms.

On kernel install the postinstall script is vboxadd and on startup it is
using systemd vboxadd service files.  So, it would see, the there is a
difference between those 2 in my case.

I've just cold started into Linux to get the info to setup my wife's email after an android upgrade destroyed the ability for kmail to work on existing accounts, and, the kernel module was loaded at boot time and the network driver mounts worked successfully. I wasn't trying after a kernel upgrade, I forced the removal and re-add to simulate a new kernel to get dkms to compile the driver at boot time. Before I respond to the other thread I had raised around the network device not being available at boot time I'll need to do some more checking, but it looks like systemd or networkmanager or something else in Fedora couldn't handle 2 wifi devices with the first device not being configured in networkmanager at all and the second device configured with 'ONBOOT=yes' on the 802.11AC interface. What I don't know is whether or not Fedora is trying to simulate Ubuntu which starts the 802.11n device at boot even though its not defined in networkmanager but successfully starts the 802.11AC device which is defined in networkmanager. I've removed the 802.11n device which has made the difference with the 802.11AC device being available at boot time (what I don't understand at the moment is why, when I configured the usb device to start with the 802.11n interface rather than the 802.11AC interface the device was available at boot time and the fact that there was another 802.11n wifi device physically present and usable did not have any impact.). The dkms issue may be an upstream issue as I think dkms under Ubuntu has the same issue relative to modprobe but I'll need to try the same test that I did under Fedora, if a kernel upgrade doesn't occur first.

regards,
Steve