Re: What do Network Manager / Network Messages Mean That are Shown at Boot Time

On 10/02/2017 09:26, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 02/10/17 04:30, Stephen Morris wrote:
Hi Ed,
     I've tried adding the two statements to the unit section of
dkms.service and they do cause dkms to run prior reaching
network.target, but they make no difference to the network being
available at boot time.
     It seems to me that the issue is that Fedora is not providing
proper functionality on 802.11ac USB devices as evidenced by the
following situations:

  * Network Manager Ethernet Definition set to "Onboot=yes", the network
    is available at boot
  * Network Manager 2.4GHz SSID Definition set to "Onboot=yes" and
    restricted to the pci wifi device, the network is available at boot
  * Network Manager 2.4GHz SSID Definition set to "Onboot=yes" and
    restricted to the usb adapter device, the network is available at boot
  * Network Manager 5GHz SSID Definition set to "Onboot=yes" and
    restricted to the usb adapter device, the network is not available
    at boot and is not available until the desktop actually starts
    (unlike in Ubuntu where the same driver source code that is used in
    Fedora, is compiled and installed into the kernel with DKMS, the
    network is available at Display Manager start time)

Well, I don't have the HW to be able to try and reproduce your issue.

I can say that the only time I've had a situation where a WAN connection
wasn't up at the end of a boot was when I forgot to check the box
"Automatically connect to this network when it is available" in the
"General Configuration" settings for the connection.

In the past I've experienced the same thing with the network unavailability at boot because of forgetting to tick the "Automatically connect to this network when it is available". The tests I did above were all conducted by setting the checkbox in each definition as appropriate. The one theme that is common in the above situations is that all the interfaces that were available at boot time are all 802.11n interfaces, whereas the one that doesn't provide the connectivity is and 802.11ac interface. To me, at the moment, as to potentially what the problem is.

regards,
Steve