Re: What do Network Manager / Network Messages Mean That are Shown at Boot Time

On 08/02/2017 06:09, Ed Greshko wrote:

On 02/06/17 05:08, Stephen Morris wrote:
     From what I've read, DKMS will compile the driver after a new kernel is installed if
the right parameter is supplied on the make command it has been told to use.
     At boot time DKMS will run and check if the source modules it has been told to build
and install have been added to the running kernel and
if not it will undertake those actions.
     The situation that prompted this mail was where to test the auto
build functionality in DKMS I forced the boot time building.
     I've checked the /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms script and I'm not sure its working
properly (I will need to check what the autoinstaller is doing). It seems to me that the
autoinstaller is being run against the kernel identified by $kern_inst, which without
knowing what Fedora is doing, I would have assumed is set to the name of the running
kernel, which if I am correct it seems that DKMS is building the specified module
against the newly installed kernel headers and installing into the new kernel (this is
if the make parameter that identifies the kernel version to build against is specified,
which in my case is specified in dkms.conf).
You may want to try adding....

Before=network.target
Wants=network.target

To the Unit portion of the dkms.service file.
Thanks Ed, I can try that.

What I am trying to understand is, given that from the documentation, the message reached Networkmanager-wait-online target means that all network devices are up and have an IP address, how can the wait-online process be satisfied, given its definition, if the only network device Networkmanager has been told it can use is still having its driver built and deployed to the kernel, plus at the moment the interface on the device it has been told to use is still not available at boot time until the desktop (KDE or GNOME) actually starts. As a side issue to this, I have also compiled the driver through DKMS in Ubuntu, and I think the device is not available there at boot time until the display manager starts (in Fedora it is still not available at Display Manager time, the desktop has to be started from the Display Manager before it becomes available), but it is a bit hard to tell at the moment if it is available during boot because the Ubuntu boot process is significantly quicker than in Fedora, but it is still slower than windows startups (which are really hibernation starts). Also I don't have the same mount specifications in /etc/fstab under Ubuntu that I do under Fedora. For example, to mount the Ubuntu partitions I have to have entries in /etc/fstab, but under Ubuntu I don't have to put entries in /etc/fstab to mount the Fedora partitions, they are mounted automatically to /media/$my-userid (I'm using $my-userid to indicate that directory is name according to the logged in User). What I have checked yet is whether that auto-mount process is mounting the nfs and cifs interfaces on the network device).

regards,
Steve