Re: In FC 15 only root can run the X server need HELP

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 12:36:32 -0700
Greg Woods <woods@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 12:17 PM, stan <stanl-fedorauser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Wayland doesn't handle custom keymaps at this point,
>

> This is tangential to the main point of course, but I have found that
> Wayland will handle already-defined custom keymaps just fine, but
> attempting to create keymaps under Wayland via the keyboard setup
> does not work. So I log in to an Xorg session, set up the keymap,
> then I can log back in under Wayland and the mapping works fine. An
> example for me was setting up ALT-H to hibernate (systemctl hibernate
> -i). If I set up the map under Xorg, then when I am in Wayland I can
> ALT-H and it hibernates just fine, but trying to set up this mapping
> while in Wayland just doesn't work. When I go into the custom keymap
> setup and press ALT-H, it thinks I pressed something like
> ALT-SUPER-META-H (and my keyboard does not have SUPER or META keys).
> YMMV.
>
> --Greg

Are we talking about the same thing?  I put my custom keymapping on the
kernel boot line, so it is used immediately during boot,
KEYTABLE=uneaf, and put the keymapping in /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/xkb so
the kernel can find it.

When I boot X, I put uneaf in .Xkbmap, and X comes up using that
keymapping as long as a uneaf file is in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols (in
F25, it has changed again in F26 to being a stanza in us).

If I boot wayland using a compositor from the command line in a virtual
console, it doesn't use uneaf, but uses qwerty.  And when I asked, I
was told that wayland had no way to configure that yet.

As you say, this is off topic for this thread, so I'll end there, and
thanks for the info.