Re: Spectacular F24 to F25 dnf Upgrade Failure

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 13:36:14 -0600
Brian Hanks <bhanks@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I decided to do a dnf upgrade of my F24 install on my HP Envy 15t
> laptop (dual boot).  I've done at least two successful dnf upgrades
> on this laptop in the past with only minor annoyances, but this one
> is a complete bust.

What was the command you used to do the upgrade?  Is there anything
unusual about your installation?

Does windows still boot properly?

> On boot I'm getting an ACPI Error stating something about a
> "Namespace Lookup faillure" and a "Method parse execution failed".
> Then it goes on to point at a log file
> in /run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt which essentially repeats the same
> messages I mentioned before, but then also mentions an issue with
> the /dev/sda10 superblock time.  That's followed by an fsck run which
> fails with an error code 4.
>
> At this point I booted into a Fedora Live distro and ran "fdisk -l"
> to find that all of my Linux partitions are showing as type
> "Microsoft basic data".  Then and I started GParted which complained
> about the "Physical block size is 2048 bytes, but Linux says it is
> 512 bytes."  And finally, my Linux /boot partition is showing within
> GParted as type FAT16.

You should open a bugzilla against dnf to document your experiences
and allow the potential to get this fixed for the future.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/

> Wow, I don't even know where to start.  If you have any thoughts,
> please let me know.  Otherwise, I'll have to do a fresh install over
> the top of this mess.

Whew, that's a bad experience.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to help you, but there are some experts
on the list, so maybe they'll be able to help you recover.

It is because of potential experiences like yours that I always do my
upgrades to new versions while leaving my old version intact.  You
could just create the new partitions, and rsync your old version to the
new partitions before doing the upgrade.  Then, if disaster strikes,
you have a fallback position of a working system.