Re: USB TV tuner stick and fedora's tvtime

On 2017-01-15 14:08, JD wrote:

On 01/15/2017 02:44 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
On 15/01/17 19:25, JD wrote:

On 01/14/2017 02:34 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
On 13/01/17 23:52, JD wrote:
Has anyone been able to make this work.
The USB tv tuner I thought I would get for cheap is
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-TV-Stick-Tuner-Receiver-Adapter-Worldwide-Analog-for-PC-Laptop-DVD-/282323120651?hash=item41bbc4f20b:g:inEAAOSwd4tUF~E1

If it will not work, what does work with tvtime ?

PS: I was thinking of watching digital VHF/UHF broadcasts.

I used to use tvtime several years ago, when it was strictly an analog
system. I haven't followed later developments. The url also says the
device is analog.  I don't know how many analog tv signals will still
exist in your area; perhaps fm radio.

John P
Hi Stan, Doug and John,

I found this RTL-SDR FM+DAB DVB-T USB 2.0 Digital TV Stick RTL2832U +
R820T Tuner Receiver at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTL-SDR-FM-DAB-DVB-T-USB-2-0-Digital-TV-Stick-RTL2832U-R820T-Tuner-Receiver-/222264849114?hash=item33c00472da:g:jfcAAOSwYIxX7Ghk

I have not ordered it yet, pending your feedback about it.

I quote from the web page:

Note:
Please make sure your region can receive DVB-T signal.

... which is likely to be true mainly in Europe, Australia,... If you are in
the US and if Over-The-Air TV is accessible for you it's likely to be in ATSC
format.  Google tv standards.

Hardware and software for TV reception must fit your location.  I don't know
where you are.  linux compatibility cannot be assumed, and chips may be
substituted without notice.  All those pictured system disks will be for
Windows - and the pictured antennae will/may work only very near a transmitter.

For 'tuners' the main formal source of info is the linux-media website, but
there's a lot of anecdotal stuff around too. Last time I looked the
linux-media list was heavily developer-centric.

The proposed purchase is certainly cheap, but I doubt that you will find it
useful.  Do you want a system that will work, or an excuse to cultivate
frustration?

I've used MythTV for years, but getting a reliable system isn't trivial.
I hope that I might find amature stations that are broadcasting in the DVB-T
standard.
At least I hope to find such stations within the 150-250 mile reception range of
an external antenna.
A little scanning never hurt anyone :)

Now, I'm using it on the more powerful Windows machine I have. But, I can tell you I have received ham radio signals from around 3.8 MHz up through 1.2 GHz on appropriate ham bands. I've also received railroad dispatchers (161 MHz region), and innumerable pager transmitters, aircraft ADSB, ATC, FM broadcast, NOAA broadcasts (162.5 MHz region), and so forth. Others use them for satellite weather maps send down from space craft. Most anything between "0 MHz" (hundred kHz-ish frequencies) through about 13.5 MHz (null at 14.4 MHz) and from about 20-25 MHz up through 1.7 GHz. Some frequencies require suitable preamplification. All frequencies require you get the dongle as far from your computer, and other noise sources, as you can get it, of course. Good advice still exists on the ultra-cheap-sdr list I mentioned last rock.

I hope you have fun with it.

{^_^}   Joanne